Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival


Amy is hosting another Blogger's Quilt Festival. It's the fourth festival and all quilters are encouraged to submit an entry. There's the chance of winning some really fun prizes for those who play. I joined in last year and enjoyed seeing everyone's creations and reading all the fun quilt stories. Inspiration city, I tell you.

The Story of My Batik Bargello
I started this batik Bargello quilt in March 2008 after I'd been quilting a little over a year. When I first started quilting in 2007 I fell in love with batik fabrics and started collecting them in record fashion. The pattern must have scared me to death, because I made a special folder for it, cut fabric swatches, printed out the directions, studied them for days, cleared the decks and took many deep breaths before I began. I certainly don't quilt this way now!

Here's the first strip set. No boring batiks for me. The louder the better. The pattern I used is called the Transitions Bargello by Nancy Morris. I found it free on the internet, but I can't find it any longer. If you are Nancy or have a good link, I'd love to be able to link this pattern.

Here is the bargello (and a French Braid) after I had it long arm quilted at my LQS. It hung in my laundry room for a while waiting for Mrs. Procrastinator to bind it. I dusted it every few weeks. What, you don't dust your quilts?

Here it is bound and finished. Woo hoo! And it only took two-and-a-half years. Now you know why I prefer making small quilts!

The quilt has already been placed into service. Luckily, teens and dogs have no trouble sleeping (or eating) so quilts will be used and loved.

To all my regular followers, I apologize for repeating myself with this post, but I really wanted a chance at some of those prizes! ; )


23 comments:

  1. I love your Bargello quilt Michele! Can't believe you tackled something so complex so soon after starting to quilt. It is fabulous! Glad it is being used now...no more dusting! Good luck with those prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bargello! I'm obsessed with them myself! Yours turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bargello quilts. I tried to start one once, but never got past the test block. Woops!

    Well done on your effort. Beautiful quilts are wonderful, but what is more wonderful is seeing beautiful quilts being used and abused and loved by dogs and children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All quilts should be loved and used like that, LOL! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bright colors. Nice story about it too, quilts bring out the warm and fuzzies in us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teenager and dachshund are obviously happy with your quilt ;-)) And you tackled a bargello as a beginner? WOW - I still haven't found the nerve to try my hands on one ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out great! Glad you stuck with it. I love your blog, but your silverware background is making me kinda hungry . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. My three girls take all my quilts to cuddle. They have no problem getting comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilt:)) Thank you so much for visiting my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive arrangement of colors!! Very fun and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing quilt. I have made one bargello quilt and will never do another. When I'd finished piecing it I hated it and would have consigned it to the back of a cupboard, but my DIL loved it and asked if she could have it, so I put it on the frame, gritted my teeth and quilted it and now she has it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful colors in your quilt. The last photo looks like a scene from my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Bargello quilt is awesome! Just beautiful, and quite a project for a new quilter to tackle. Glad to see it's found a good home with the teenager and dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that quilt! (And Zombie Barbie in a later post is pretty cool too.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is gorgeous! I love your use of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt! I love the color of those batiks! I am glad you finished it. I don't think bindings are anyone's favorite task.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your quilt, but I especially love the teenager/quilt/dog photo!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. In a million years I dont think I could ever do one of these. It's beautfiul!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely, vibrant quilt and so much work to make it. cute picture of your teen and doggie!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...