Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Recipe

My lovely mom worked while I was growing up, and even though she didn't get home until after 6 pm most nights, she still managed to make us a home cooked meal that was always nutritious and delicious. Dinner was usually something new and different. When I was older, she would call home in the afternoon and have me start things. Before that, we ate at 9 or 10 pm. My mom is French, so that's a very normal dinner time. They eat late and treat food as it should be treated. As a treat! Gotta love those French,  if only for their bread and cheeses.

My husband is not French. He'd like to eat at 5 pm every day but that's too senior citizen for me. He's one of those that doesn't want to decide what to eat. Just throw it down so he can gulp it down. Sad, right? Dinner should be enjoyed. When we had kids I compromised with a 7-7:30 pm time for dinner. I make dinner from scratch and we all sit down together. Any extra kids here sit down with us too. That's how I was raised and I'd like to pass that on to my children.  I think it's important and gives everyone a chance to chat as a family and we get to know my kids' friends.


Now that you have some of the background to my cooking education, let me show you this killer book my mom made for her sister, me, and my cousins one Christmas. Even the single boy cousin got one for his future mate. The book includes French family recipes from my grandmother, recipes my mom found over the years, and recipe recommendations throughout time. My mom collected recipes that sounded good to her. She tried them a few times and if they were outstanding they got the nod. That's the only way they landed in the "book."  So this book is pretty valuable to our family. There's also plenty of room to add our own favorite recipes, which I need to do.

I continue to cook my mom's way, trying new dishes almost daily. It drives my son crazy, but I think he secretly enjoys trying different cuisines and foods. Even mid-Western, corn-loving hubby has learned to eat oysters, blue crab, okra, greens, asparagus, avocado, lentils, tofu and a variety of other ick-factor foods. I still can't pass off brussels sprouts, but I will keep trying because I really like them!

Hopefully, you've made it to why I wrote this post in the first place! THE RECIPE! I tried these the other night and they were killer. And easy. And probably not very good for you, but they're worth it! From the book...


Parmesan Cheese Muffins

Makes 1 dozen
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

Combine flour and cheese in mixing bowl. Make a well in center of mixture. Whisk together milk, oil and eggs. Add to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over stir. Spoon mixture into greased muffin tins, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Variation: Add 1 cup cooked and crumbled  ground pork sausage to flour mixture. Proceed with recipe as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...