Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter

Happy Easter to you and yours. I hope the Easter Bunny visited and dropped off a pretty basket filled with goodies. If not, all that Easter finery will be on clearance tomorrow, go get you some. Continuing my paper piecing frenzy, I found a little carrot to sew.

I had to make a little "Flat Sally" for a certain little girl. I'm sure her Easter basket(s) will be brimming with candy and toys, but I wanted to tuck in a little homemade something. She'll probably try to eat it.

I had way too much time on my hands Friday and decided to try to make homemade Peeps from a recipe in the newspaper. College Boy was home and even helped me pipe the birds. First, you boil sugar and water to 245 degrees. I get sweaty when I break out my candy thermometer. Me and candy making, not so much. I've sacrificed many pounds of sugar over the years trying to make candy. I have stories.

After your mixture is hot enough to melt lava, you beat that screeching hot liquid with gelatin. Look at that mixer go. It takes about 5-6 minutes and voila, you have homemade marshmallows. And a sink full of sticky dishes and utensils. What a mess. :( This stuff hardens quickly, so you have to work fast.

We piped bird-like blobs and dusted them in colored sugar. I didn't taste them, but the kids say they taste nothing like Peeps. Preservatives must add that distinctive Peep flavor. I was going to use them as decoration for an Easter dessert, but they may just become a topic of conversation. I'm going to put melted chocolate some eyes on a few, pry them off the parchment paper, throw them on a plate and call it a day.


Luckily, you can't mess up deviled eggs. Well, unless you put sweet pickle relish in them. Ha! Just kidding, but we like them sans sweet. I tried making a few look like little chicks with triangle carrot beaks, olive eyes and parsley combs.

We're having a crab boil for Easter dinner. My favorite! I think someone is doing a ham, but crabs are the main course. My mom is making her potato salad and I also made a chocolate eclair dessert. I can't wait to see the spread. Potlucks are so fun.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your peep-making process. I've considered making homemade marshmallows but all that sticky work tells me I probably don't need to. The deviled chicks are almost too cute to eat - their little faces and "easter hats" are my kind of silly!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...