Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Soup and Randomness
Red Curry or Fire Pot Thai Soup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 tablespoons red curry paste
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
32 oz. chicken stock/broth
1/2 lb. raw shrimp
1/2 cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup snow peas
1-2 dried chili peppers
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup brown rice
parsley, basil, scallions for garnish
1. Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups water. Steam 40 minutes or until tender.
2. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add curry paste and continue heating.
3. Add coconut milk, broth, and chili peppers to pot and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Add raw shrimp, chopped chicken breast, and snow peas. Squeeze juice of one lime and add rice. Cook 5-10 minutes until shrimp are done.
5. Garnish with generous amounts of parsley, basil, and scallion.
Vegetarian version: replace shrimp and chicken with firm tofu and use vegetable broth.