Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Soup and Randomness

This soup is yummy. Basically, I compiled a couple of different recipes to suit what I had on hand. The result was a creamy, spicy, flavorful broth with a bit of shrimp and chicken, snow peas, and green garnishes. Yum! I ate it for breakfast this morning and it was even better left over.

Red Curry or Fire Pot Thai Soup

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 tablespoons red curry paste
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
32 oz. chicken stock/broth
1/2 lb. raw shrimp
1/2 cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup snow peas
1-2 dried chili peppers
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup brown rice
parsley, basil, scallions for garnish

1. Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups water. Steam 40 minutes or until tender.
2. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add curry paste and continue heating.
3. Add coconut milk, broth, and chili peppers to pot and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Add raw shrimp, chopped chicken breast, and snow peas. Squeeze juice of one lime and add rice. Cook 5-10 minutes until shrimp are done.
5. Garnish with generous amounts of parsley, basil, and scallion.

Vegetarian version: replace shrimp and chicken with firm tofu and use vegetable broth.

Work has been busy, but I played with my selvages to make a coaster.

And also prepared my fabrics for my second January Lucky Stars block. This time I printed the patterns the right size and used gray for the background instead of white. I forgot I was using gray for the backgrounds on these blocks. Maybe by June's block I'll have my act together.

My Scrappy Trips are growing slowly. I'm kind of getting bored with making them. I doubt I'm good for many more. I like how everyone else's blocks are turning out, but mine seem kind of flat. Meh.

I basted some hexies last time I was away from my machine and computer. It doesn't happen often. I did these while I was visiting with my dad. His grandmothers quilted but he doesn't remember ever seeing them do it.

An adorable little pouch I won. Hollywood is the owl girl, so I'm sure she'll relieve me of this cutie as soon as she sees it.

1 comment:

  1. Love your colors for the Lucky Stars block. Bright and sunny--just like me...haha

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...