Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Machine Applique

One of my QuiltCon workshops was Machine Applique by Debbie Grifka from Esch House Quilts. I chose fabrics and threads from my stash and bought the stabilizer and double stick fusible web. Debbie had us make a pillow top or small wall hanging size quilt top using her cute bird pattern.

Janome provided the sewing machines for QuiltCon. This Janome 3160 QDC is the machine I've always thought would be my next machine. It was a great experience to test drive it for a full day. Janome offered deep discounts on the machines being used. I've decided it's not the machine for me, but I really did love the automatic thread cutter. Poor old Red was at the spa while I was away and needed a little work. Apparently, I've sewn a lot and worn a few things down.




My classmates had fun fabrics. Some had bought their fabrics from the vendors at the quilt show. I absolutely loved all the variations and creative combos. I think everyone had a good time making this project.

Here's my finished top. The stabilizer really helped with puckering while using a satin stitch around the appliqué edges; and it was easy to pull off. I wonder if you can paper piece on that stuff?

I had a delicious cafe au lait at a nearby cafe. Love the barista's shorthand.

The QuiltCon raffle quilt was so fun. That armadillo in the bottom right corner was my favorite. I really enjoyed seeing all the quilts created by blocks sent in by Modern Quilt Guild members. I even found the block I sent. The quilt above was raffled, but approximately 25 quilts were made for a local children's charity in Austin, Texas. I'll say it again, quilters are givers.

2 comments:

  1. Have you recovered from QuiltCon yet?! I like your finished quilt top from the applique class. I'm sure your teacher would give you an A+!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabric combination, particularly the cheerful background. Myself, trying to find a spot to hide the Quiltcon hoard of Cherrywoods and oakshotts.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...