Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy at Amy's Creative Side hosts a Blogger's Quilt Festival each spring and fall. I've participated a few times and I always enjoy seeing everyone's quilts. There is tons of variety and creativity to inspire you. And prizes. Did I mention prizes? Today, I'm sharing an oldie. Go get your sunglasses, you're going to need them.

When I started quilting in 2007, my family teased me and called me grandma and worse. Little did they know that there was a whole new world of quilters out there. Quilting was a popular hobby. Blogland inspired me and I pretty much cut my quilting teeth using online pictorial tutorials. I didn't realize you could actually take a class. With a teacher. My family finally accepted that I had been bitten by the quilting bug. Maybe the piles of fabric gave it away.

After I had quilted a year or so, my then 15-year-old son asked for a quilt. I asked him what type of quilt he wanted and in all his snarkiness, he replied "I want it to be tacky." So after thinking about it, I decided to create a quilt using all the cartoon characters from his childhood. I fussy cut some of the characters and framed them log cabin style.

There's Barney, the purple dinosaur. Barney was a big deal around here when my kids were little. I think he has since passed away. Just kidding, he's still around and kicking.

Pink haired Troll doll, anyone? I don't know if he had one of these, but I probably did. There are Power Rangers and Pokemon characters as well. And if only I could have found some Lego fabric. That kid was a big Lego fan. He could have gone to an Ivy League college for all that money we wasted spent on Legos.

Spongebob was a favorite. I remember trying to tune out that "Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea..." theme song many, many times. Still, it was a cute show. I loved Patrick. Patrick is also featured on the quilt somewhere. Patrick always wanted to hear "The Muffin Man" song which would then get stuck in my head all day. Super, now it's stuck in my head by just writing about it.

The My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake are a family joke. One Christmas I had wrapped toys for the poor kids and used them as props under the Christmas tree until it was time to deliver them to the church. I left one behind by mistake and College Boy thought it was for him. He was about six or so. I told him he could have it. He was thrilled ticked to find out it was a My Little Pony toy. Ha. Every year after that, I've bought him a My Little Pony toy and put it under the tree or in his stocking. It always gets a laugh. I'd like to think that if he ever mars his body with a tattoo it will be a cartoon pony with the word "Mom." 

So now I've blogged about the "Attack of the Cartoon Characters" quilt. I really should label it.

College Boy circa, I have no idea, because I never date pictures. I can't believe he grew up so quickly. Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

  1. Man that fits the bill but it is so charming! My 3 year old would freak out for this!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt! But you don't say whether College Boy likes it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this quilt! so perfectly fits your sense of humor. Absolutely adore the troll fabric - I have thirty-some trolls somewhere in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt and I love the story! As mom's I think we are suppose to play with our kids minds - it keeps them sharp -LOL!

    ps I did have a troll doll in my childhood - ohhh... that really dates me~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - Troll Doll fabric!! And Spongebob!! Your quilt is so much fun and so sunny! It's really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love SpongeBob!!! I tease my kids about it all the time. I even bought some fabric to add to my "memories" quilt that I'm making. And great, now I have "Who lives in a pineapple, under the sea? SpongeBob Square Pants" in my head, too!

    Love your whole quilt. It's wicked fun and reminds me of similar jokes and happenings in my own household.

    signing off singing...
    "SpongeBob Square Pants, SpongeBob Square Pants, SpongeBob Square Pants!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun!

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quilt. Nice to see Barney made an appearance. Liam would love it! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt !Love the story sometiimes boys who played with legos all the time grow up to be engineers one of mine did!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt - love the Strawberry shortcake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great quilt! My 5 yr old DD would love it as we're in the midst of all of those characters right now LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh!! This is such a wonerful quilt as well as a fantastic story but you never said if he liked it or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. boy, did you find some ragingly fun and funny fabrics! does college boy take it to school? brave kid if he does! thanks for sharing a fun quilt and great story. have a great day

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...