Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Yep, It's Monday.

Pistachios. I like nuts of every kind, but these are my favorite. They're the lowest calorie nut, so I eat double.


Did you spot my new mouse pad in the nut photo? I finally decided to cover an old mouse pad with some Florida fabric. I was using the AOL pad, but I kept falling off of that odd shape. That AOL pad might go for big bucks on eBay. It's vintage! Love the bottom tag line, "the future now available." Boy, they were right about that. Computers have changed our lives in so many ways. I wonder when I'll be able to maneuver a touch pad? I'm a mouse girl from way back.

My second bottle of Fabric-Tax that dried up. And leaked. I did have it upside down to try to get some out, but I finally trashed it. I wish I could find smaller bottles. This stuff is kind of like Super Glue, once you open it up, it only lasts for a little while. I found a tube of Unique Stitch that may last a little longer. I see that the Super Glue people have figured it out. They sell a package of several small tubes.

Whipping up some chicken stock for risotto tonight. I used onion, celery, carrot, garlic and parsley. The onion peel gives the stock nice color. See how pale that celery is? Making stock is a good time to use less than perfect veggies. I don't even peel the carrots. Just scrub everything well.

This is all our leftover chicken parts. Wing tips, necks, gizzards, backs. I freeze these in sandwich bags until I have enough to make stock. I like to brown the chicken parts in olive oil and cook the livers for Bones. You could roast the chicken or even use it raw. After browning, I added white wine, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, pepper, rosemary, veggies, and lots of water.

Here's it is ready to simmer for a couple of hours. Simply strain and store in containers. Discard everything else; it's tasteless at this point. All the flavor from the chicken and veggies is in your broth. The stock will last a few days in the fridge, but also freezes nicely. Skim the fat off the top before using. The stock makes a great base for soups, stews, sauces, and risotto.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Pistachios!! I haven't had any since we started our Lose It Calorie counting - didn't realize they were that low cal! Now I might have to go buy some. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...