Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Countdown to Thanksgiving


Is everyone getting ready for Thanksgiving Day? Last year we were out of town visiting my husband's family, so I didn't get to cook. A huge turkey dinner is one of my favorite meals to make and eat. I've been known to throw a turkey feast a couple times a year. Why wait until November to eat all those scrumptious dishes? I love turkey especially. It's also great on the grill or deep fried. We deep fry turkeys in the South!

Growing up, I had Thanksgiving at my maternal grandmother's house. She and my grandfather were of French decent and the menu rarely changed. There was turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, lentils flavored with the turkey neck, pork and sauerkraut (from their Pennsylvania days), green salad with vinaigrette, and dinner rolls. I think there were pies for dessert, but I wasn't a dessert person. My cousins and I would dig into the relish tray right away. Grandma knew we loved cream cheese stuffed celery, and all the olives and pickles you could eat.

The menu this year:
  • Relish Tray
  • Roasted Turkey
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Dressing with Mushrooms
  • Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Lentils
  • Salad with Vinaigrette 
  • Dinner Rolls
I'm making the Mister a pecan pie and trying to think of something chocolate the kiddos would like. They adore Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, so the bar is set pretty low.

Today I've been busy ironing linens and washing china and crystal. Tomorrow I'll get started on a few dishes that can be made ahead so I can relax with everyone. I hope my US friends have a wonderful holiday and that everyone takes a minute to give thanks for everything around us.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...