Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Under Construction

I'm building more house blocks for an upcoming swap. These are based on Tonya's Wonky Houses tutorial. I reckon these house blocks are like potato chips. You can't just make one. I'm sure I'll be able to fit a few more in today. I want to make a teeny, tiny one, maybe two to four inches.

Mrs. Packrat strikes again. Do you save your trimmed triangles? Egg cartons, margarine bowls? Kidding about the egg cartons, but I did have a large collection of tiny triangles I have trimmed from blocks, binding joins, etc. Anyone Can Quilt gave me the crazy idea to work with mine. So off we go using the teeniest of the triangles in my triangle box. I barely made a dent!
 Then I had to square up the HST's. Note, I did not save these trimmings. Progress, eh?
I did lay them out on my handy dandy new design board, but I bet the finished top is different. I get all turned around. Since I was going for a scrappy look, it didn't really matter. That's why I love scrappy quilts!
Here are all 81 HST's together with borders added. The finished "blocks" are one inch square. This top measures 13.5" x 13.5". I hope to quilt this today.

This little top is going to be for a doll quilt swap. I started out with some leftover charm squares for the hour glass blocks, then decided to add some modern applique. I finally used my Clover bias tape maker. That's a cool little gadget! I made enough stems for 600 flowers! I just cut the "flowers" free hand from scraps that sort of match. I'm thinking of trying some trapunto quilting on the flower heads. Eek!

I hope everyone had a wonderful and creative weekend.









5 comments:

  1. Wow Michele, so much quilty goodness in one post!!! You have been a busy girl. Love the potato chip analogy! So true. I really like those half square triangles and the quilt you made with them. Good luck with the trapunto. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the mini HST quilt!!
    Great job!!

    panda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Michele, 1 inch blocks, your patient. Enough stems for 600!!! You'll be making flowers in your sleep. Your parcel didn't leave Saturday, the darn PO didn't have any suitable mailers. so hopefully if DH gets home early enough during the week, I can shoot back to the PO and send it off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the houses, love the triangles and cute swap quilt. I save those little triangles too. I'm dangerously attracted to saving every cardboard box that makes its way into the house - but I might neeeed it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty! i like the one with the cat peeking out of the window. very creative!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...