Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy Weekend!

I made some pimento cheese yesterday. The Inspector sometimes sneaks that neon orange stuff in the house, but I've never really cared for it. Homemade is much better. I loved it. I used this recipe but added quite a bit of cayenne pepper. They call pimento cheese "the caviar of the South." It is also served traditionally at the Masters golf tournament. Here's a copycat recipe for the Master's pimento cheese. I'm trying that recipe next.

The diced pimentos were pricey, so I bought these whole pimentos and diced them myself. The texture of the whole pimentos is much better; not as slimy. I love the "fancy quality" proclamation on the label. And note the different spelling, pimiento. I've always thought pimentos were roasted red peppers, but they are actually cherry peppers. Now I want to add them to everything.

We started off the holiday weekend by grilling mustard and soy sauce coated wild salmon and artisan bread drizzled with olive oil. I used a cedar plank for the salmon and it gave it great flavor. I'm looking forward to a long weekend of grilling and goofing off.

After the bread was burnt toasty, I rubbed raw garlic clove and tomato on the hot bread. Then I topped them with sliced avocado, more tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. They were really good and we ate them while the salmon took it's sweet time cooking. My gas grill is about dead, so I'm having to get used to using charcoal again.

I'm still working on my improvisational stitch and flip blocks. I wasn't as far along as I originally thought. Maybe I'll make some progress during the three-day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...