Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

More Cooking

My family loves fresh pico de gallo. They polish off a batch in no time. Over the weekend I made this simple salsa in the food processor. Much easier than chopping all that fresh stuff and great when you can't find good tomatoes. Let's see how fast this stuff goes. They eat it for on-the-go meals.

The Orlando Modern Quilt Guild crayon challenge quilts for AAQI are up. Our guild is so much fun. Did I mention our monthly meetings are held in a fabric store? And that our monthly Sew Day involves food, laughter and sewing? What's not to love?

I kept seeing recipes for chicken and leeks and decided I'd give it a go one night. I combined a couple of different recipes and added in my own stuff. I didn't eat leeks much growing up. I think they may be a Northern thing and maybe not readily available back in the day. They're delicious though. And probably good for you. I love when something yummy is good for you. Unlike Cheetos or banana Laffy Taffy.

 Garlic, bell peppers, and sliced leek. I had a package of frozen mushrooms, so why not?

Saute the leek first. It's onion like and needs to soften to get mellow and tasty. I sauteed them in olive oil and butter.

When the leeks soften a bit, toss in garlic and peppers. Throw in the mushrooms too. You know what also might be good? Sun-dried tomatoes. I could eat those babies on everything.

I removed the veggies and added more olive oil to brown chicken breasts. Season them first, and just try to get a bit of color on them. Alternatively, you could slice the chicken into pieces and toss them with the veggies for a bit. It would shorten the cooking time.

De glaze the pan with white wine and/or chicken broth to make a sauce. Simmer and let the chicken breasts cook through.
Meanwhile, mix some flour with sour cream. This is an old stroganoff trick and works to make any liquid a creamy sauce.

 Add this to your pan. and Let simmer until sauce has thickened and chicken is thoroughly cooked.

I served the chicken stroganoff on brown rice with roasted broccoli and salad. Noodles or pasta would be nice too. Or a simple baked potato.

2 comments:

  1. Yum...we had leftovers tonight and now I'm wishing we'd had this. Boo... But at least my fridge is somewhat cleaner now, so I guess leftovers aren't all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good! I've got pulled pork in the slow cooker now and we've been nibbling on blonde brownies most of the day....low cal huh?!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...