Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2013

Amy at Amy's Creative Side hosts a Blogger's Quilt Festival to coincide with Quilt Market held each spring and fall. There are several categories of quilts and it's always fun to see what everyone has made and hear the stories behind the quilts and quilt makers. If you have a blog and a finished quilt, you can submit your blog post to share and also have a chance at winning fabulous prizes.

Help! I'm stuck!
My lack of photography skills decided my entry for the Festival. I had good intention of taking a few quilts out to shoot photos in this gorgeous weather, but I ran into a few snags. Literal snags. Uh oh, Double Delight is stuck on the neighborhood wall. Really stuck. I was sure it would rip. Remind me to bring a step ladder and/or assistant next time. The quilt survived, but my neighborhood reputation may be in question. Again.

This baby quilt hung out on a lawn and behaved itself, so it was the choice. It's made from vintage fabrics that I've collected over the years. I've used the fabrics here and there, but mostly admired them and shared with others who like the old stinky stuff. This summer while cleaning, I decided to organize the vintage fabric bin and donate the prints I didn't love so I could collect more of what I do love. While I was sorting, re-folding, and organizing, I was inspired.

A bow tie quilt being sold on eBay this summer provided the inspiration, so I set out replicate the scrappy look. The inspiration quilt had 929, 2-3/4" blocks. Gulp. I was lucky to eek out 110, 3-1/2" blocks before my eyes glazed over. I worked on the blocks here and there between other projects.

The quilt measures 40" x 44" and was machine pieced and machine quilted by myself. I did have to throw in some cheddar orange from newer fabric to achieve the look of the antique quilt, but the majority of fabrics are oldies but goodies.

I even found a fun Wonder Bread polka dot fabric for the backing. Remember when cotton fabrics were only 36" wide? Yep, I had to piece it. Luckily I had plenty. Thanks for taking time to look. I hope you enjoy the Festival.

My Past Festival Quilts

Spring 2012 -- Attack of the Cartoon Characters
Fall 2011 -- Scrappy Coins
Fall 2010 -- Batik Bargello
Spring 2010 -- Postage Stamp Mini

Another thank you to the beautiful park for providing picnic tables and grass for my photo shoot. Is it just me, or does even looking at Spanish Moss make you itch? Chigger city!

5 comments:

  1. Love seeing your bow tie quilt again! Your photography for this post is awesome. I had to laugh about the quilt stuck on the fence. Had the same issue with mine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bowties always seem so appropriate for babies! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love your vintage bow-tie quilt! Such a classic block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all those little bow ties! You have more patience than I would! Great way to use the vintage fabrics.

    Oh my, that is just horrible that your quilt got stuck up on the wall! And now your neighbors think you're perhaps a tad wacky, huh? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt on the wall with cheddar border is beautiful. I also like going to yard/estate/garage sales. I picked up an applique pieced by Peruvian women that is stunning. I wish I knew how to share the picture with you. Glad to see you back. I missed your sense of humor. It cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...