Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Butterflying


A couple of years ago, I got involved in the online quilting community's butterfly craze. All the cool kids were making these striking butterfly quilts. I made blocks here and there and the flimsy still resides in my box o' quilt tops. I really should quilt it or get it quilted. It will make a bright and happy quilt for someone. I love how it turned out. Scrappy and fun.

That summer, I also showed off my vintage butterfly quilt I picked up somewhere. I fell in love with this quilt the minute I saw it. It's hand quilted with big clunky stitches, but the blocks are interesting and colorful. It almost has a modern feel to it with the white sashing.

The nice folks at Quilt Inspiration noticed my vintage butterfly quilt and kindly asked me if they could feature it. The best part is that they also drafted a pattern in two sizes and included a handy layout in case you wanted to make one for yourself. You can download the patterns right here.


Over the weekend I made a few blocks stealing their neato color palette and assembled them into the larger block. Four of these with sashing would make a good sized baby quilt. Now I want to make the smaller blocks and do a scrappy version. Thanks so much to Quilt Inspiration for taking the guess work out of making these fun blocks and showcasing some amazing butterfly creations. The online quilting community is always inspiring.

The bonus trimmed triangles were used for a little mini. More on that later.

My breakfast. Smushed avocado on marble rye toast with a poached egg and cherry tomato garnish. It was delicious. The "lite" avocados aren't nearly as rich as Haas avocados, but they're what I grew up eating. I believe they are mostly grown in Florida. I had a neighbor that had a gigantic avocado tree and they all ripen at the same time. You're eating avocados until they come out of your ears. Unfortunately, the tree succumbed to a freeze one year. Luckily, avocados are easy to find year round. I really love them.

5 comments:

  1. Michele, we love your blocks, and what a clever idea to use the trimmed triangles for a mini quilt. Thanks so much for the inspiration and for your help with the vintage block diagrams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, you are awesome!!!! So glad others now know it too ;-) Love both your butterfly quilts and how you assembled the other block and made the minis. You know I'm need of some baby quilt inspiration so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vintage butterfly quilt is stunning, I have not seen one like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! That's adorable! I love the modern look of the butterflying.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...